Our Blessed Lady of the Sablon
(Grote Zavel / Regentschapsstraat)
The church of our Our Blessed Lady of the Sablon (early 15th century), is one of the most beautiful late gothic churches in Belgium. Its history is losely linked with that of “the Noble Serment of Crossbowmen”, a guilde which was granted the use of the area in the 13th century. The church quickly gained the favors of the noble families.
The church features a cross-shaped architecture, 65-meters long, 37-meters wide and 26-meters high. The choir originates in the 15th century. The pulpit (1697) is a striking carved wooden work by sculptor Marc De Vos. In the 17th century, the von Thurn und Taxis families ordered the building of two side baroque chapels in the choir. The interior of the church is adorned with rich decoraive elements.
The legend of the miraculous statue of Our Blessed Lady that was brought by boat from Antwerp made the church famous and is at the origin of the “Ommegang”, a renown historical parade in Brussels.