Saint Michael & Gudula Cathedral
Already in the 9th century, there was a small oratory dedicated to Saint Michael. It was replaced by a romanesque church which was elevated to rank of capitular church in 1047. The archeological remains of this church can still be visited, as well as the old crypt which is the oldest visitable place in central Brussels. After the transport of the relics of Saint Gudula, the church gained its double name of Collegiate Church of Saint Michael and Saint Gudula. The building of the present gothic church eventually began in 1226, but it took more than 250 years to be completed. As a result, the cathedral features all the different kind of gothics. The following centuries brought their lot of alterations and renovations.
In February 1962, the Collegiate Church was elevated to the rank of Cathedral, along with the Cathedral Saint-Rombauts in Mechelen, with which it forms the seats of the Archidiocese of
During the last years of the 20th century heavy works were undertaken aiming at restoring the original splendor of the building. The result is visible today: the sober and magnificent interior, with its huge dimensions leave no visitors unimpressed. The many works of art presented in the Cathedral comprise amongst other: stained glasses from the 16th, 17th and the 19th century, the impressive wooden pulpit by Verbruggen (1699), beautiful paintings by Coxcie, nicknamed the Flemish “Raffaelo”, Baroque sculptures by Duquesnoy and Fayd-herbe, delicate religious ornements in the Treasure Room, cenotaphs,…