Saint John the Baptist at the Béguinage
This church is the last important remain of the Béguinage Notre-Dame de la Vigne, founded in the 13th century, that had quite an important influence on this part of the city. The building of the church started in 1657 and features a Flemish-Italian architectural style. It was set right upon an old gothic church whose some of the pillars were re-used in the present church. The artistically adorned facade is one of a kind in Belgium.
Under the hexagonal towers, with its little bell towers stands the classicist altar. This carved wooden altar, typical of the 17th century Flemish art is attributed to Theodor van Loon and is well worth a visit just for itself.
A number of epitaphs remind the presence of the beguines. Their house was located until 1828 just at the corner of the church. The interesting pulpit was made by Parent in 1757 and comes from the church of the Dominicans in Malines (Mechelen).